Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Fanime 2008

One of the traditions my friends have is the annual visit to the Fanime convention in San Jose. Since most of us only live half an hour or so away, we generally all pile into two cars and head down for a weekend of games, anime, and laughing at unwashed otaku.

My sister recently got interested in the Warhammer 40k universe, and talked me in to making a Space Marine outfit. However, I don't believe in doing anything by halves, so here I am working on a computer to fit in the backpack that will let me play sounds and support other functions.

I've heard a lot of suggestions about what features to add. Here a few of my personal favorites. Keep in mind that I don't think even half of these are feasible, but they're still fun to dream on.

- Backpack computer. This one is definitely going in, as I already have it and it's running.
- Arm-mounted touch screen for controlling the backpack computer.
- Speakers for audio out. Pretty sure this one is going in there, too.
- Webcam to record cool things / everything.
- Lights. (Would completely destroy my battery life, but whatever.)
- Blue cold-cathode light tubes to give the backpack a kind of "Cherenkov Radiation" glow.
- Wireless. The computer I'm putting the backpack has exactly ONE PCI card, so I could theoretically stick a wireless card in there.
- Bend sensors for the main joints, with the data output piped to a synth on the computer. Would
allow me to make dynamic "whir whir" noises when I move. Awesome, but hard to make.
- Accelerometers in the feet to detect footfalls. Sudden acceleration changes would make "thump" noises.

No comments: